Steamed Egg with Minced Pork
If you need to whip together a meal in 30 minutes, but you also want something delicious and comforting, steamed egg with minced pork is a simple recipe that you need to try.
Servings: 4 servings
- ½ lb 20% fat ground pork about 225g
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine or rice cooking wine
- ½ tsp minced garlic about a clove
- ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
- ⅛ tsp white pepper powder
- 1 pinch Chinese five spice powder optional
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp corn starch
- 1 scallion chopped
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup warm water
In a shallow bowl, mix ground pork with soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, garlic, ginger, white pepper powder, Chinese five spice, salt, sugar, and corn starch. Finally stir in chopped scallion and set it aside.
Whisk eggs with warm water until smooth. Try not to incorporate too much air in it.
Pour the egg mixture into the shallow bowl through a sift and then gently loosen and evenly distribute the pork a bit. (See the picture in the post as a reference.)
In a pot with a lid, bring 3 cups of water to a boil over medium heat. Insert a steamer basket/rack into the pot and place the bowl on top.
Reduce the heat to medium low and cover pot with lid, but leave a little opening and steam for 20-25 minutes or until the egg custard is set. To check whether it's cooked through, poke a hole with a chopstick and see if there's any liquid coming out, if not, then the dish is ready.
- Since we are steaming egg custard with meat, it's harder to get a super smooth texture. However, there're some tips you can do to make it smoother -
- 1) When whisking the eggs, try not to incorporate too much air.
- 2) Pour/work egg mixture through a sift.
- 3) Steam with lower heat and with a little opening to release pressure in the pot.
- 4) Don't overcook.
- Use a wide shallow bowl so it's easier to cook through.
- Feel free to use other steaming methods (ex. bamboo steamer, electric food steamer) of your preference, the cooking time may be a bit different depending on the steaming method, check every 2-3 minutes after cooking for 15 minutes.
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 205mg | Sodium: 609mg | Potassium: 259mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 272IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2mg